Breakfast is the time to be a little self-indulgent. And nothing spells monotony like packaged cereal. I love having a big jar of granola in the kitchen, to eat over yogurt for breakfast, or as is, grasped by the handful, any time I pass the jar. If you think granola is cereal with pretensions, then I’m afraid we can’t be friends anymore.
The actual making of it is incredibly easy; the only big deal here is the shopping.
What you will need – (To fill a 2.5 litre jar)
- Rolled oats – 3 cups
- Sunflower/pumpkin seeds – 1 cup
- Almonds/walnuts – 1 cup
- Dried fruit (apricots, cranberry, figs) – 1 cup
- Zest of 1 orange
- Runny honey (or golden syrup) – ½ cup
- Orange juice – ½ cup
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – ⅓ cup
- Lime juice – 1 tsp
- Vegetable oil – 3 tablespoons
- Sea salt – 1 teaspoon
- Mix oats, seeds and nuts in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, combine honey, orange juice, lime juice, cocoa powder, oil, orange zest and salt. Stir well to make a paste.
- Add this paste to the bowl of oats and nuts and mix thoroughly.
- Spread the mixture evenly on a baking sheet and bake at 150°C for 35-40 mins or till perfectly crunchy, stirring occasionally.
- Once cooled, add in dried fruit and mix.
Storage notes –
Store in an airtight container for 3-4 weeks
If you make this recipe, you know the drill: Let me know!